[Ti] "WindowServer" HardDrive Constant Access

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Sat Mar 6 08:11:47 PST 2004

2004-03-06 kl. 15.26 skrev G. Carroll:

> Activity monitor shows ³WindowServer² using 95MB of process on my TI
> that is
> constantly accessing my hard drive. A search of KI doesn¹t reveal much
> about
> WindowServer, how to turn it off or how to delete it if it¹s
> non-essential.
--------
I don't know what it is you searched when saying KI (some sort of
Knowledgebase I assume, but would appreciate more information :-))

I searched with Google and ended up with this answer from
<http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/topic/59082-1.html>:

" WindowServer draws everything you see on the screen. It acts as a
mediator between applications that want to draw on the screen and the
graphics hardware. When an application wants to draw something, it
establishes a connection with WindowServer, tells WindowServer what to
draw, and WindowServer handles the drawing / compositing / Quartz
Extreme hardware acceleration to finally produce what's seen on the
entire screen."

So no virus and don't delete it since it seems to be an essential file
if your computer have Quartz Extreme. (Mine doesn't so I can  perhaps
feel less envious knowing that I don't have that function slowing down
my system. ;-)) *grin*

Lisbeth in Gothenburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/> updat 030828
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)