[Ti] "WindowServer" HardDrive Constant Access

Michael wakinyan at fuse.net
Sat Mar 6 09:24:25 PST 2004

>Activity monitor shows "WindowServer" using 95MB of process on my TI that is
>constantly accessing my hard drive. A search of KI doesn't reveal much about
>WindowServer, how to turn it off or how to delete it if it's non-essential.
>
>Is it a virus? It slows web access and email to a snails pace!
>
>Anyone else experienced this problem?

WindowServer is the process that controls GUI windows.  Running
activity monitor itself will slow your system; best to only run
temporarily to track down a problem.  WindowServer has to run as part
of the GUI.

If you want to monitor your processes in a more benign way, launch
Terminal and type in "top". Or first type "man top" to get the help
screen that describes this command.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com