[Ti] Help, epson printers or is it me!!!!!

Macintosh info mac.info at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 8 07:16:24 PST 2004

Hello,

In my experience with Epson printers, the clogging occurs because of
irregular use.  At least turning it on/off daily (which I admit not doing,
because I usually let it remain on) will put it through its startup/shutdown
cycle, which includes cleaning the print heads.

You can purchase cleaning cartridges, though I have yet to use one...

Finally, though the labor cost exceeds the price of buying a whole new unit,
it isn't too challenging to disassemble the unit to the point where you can
extract the print head, and soak that thing in ammonia (the way you may
remember soaking the fine tips of technical pens).  At least this was my
experience with a Stylus 740.  I'll probably need to do this with my Photo
750 soon too.

Epson would have you believe (and it may be true) that the use of 3rd party
inks kills the life of the machine, but I say, these inks are SO CHEAP, and
still damn good-looking, that even if it cuts a couple years off its life,
the savings would be so monumental that you could have bought 15 or 20 more
machines during that time.  The price difference between Epson brand and 3rd
party is staggering. (see tylermartin.com)

Bill Planey