[Ti] G5 powerbook: any educated guesses out there?

kalirhe at umdnj.edu kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Tue Mar 9 13:35:09 PST 2004

Quoting Malcolm Hamilton <malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca>:

> Hello -
> I'll apologize in advance for asking about something I know we should
> all be above asking.  After all, it's silly to wonder about what we
> can never know; it's a waste of time to ponder imponderables.  But
> I'm human, and I'll be needing a powerbook some time within the next
> three or four months, and I'd love an educated guess or two about
> when Apple might release a G5 powerbook.
>

> Just so you know - I got a G4 Desktop just a month before Apple
> announced the G5, and I never complained.  Not once.  But I know I'll
> be mad if I the same thing happens again with my next powerbook
> purchase.  So ballpark this for me if you will - -

Malcolm,

IMHO, Apple HAS to come up with a G5 PB simply to keep up with "the Joneses"
(those Wintel laptops). An announcement of this "magnitude" has been
typically reserved for the Macworld Expositions so, since you've indicated
a need "within the next three or four months", you might be wise to wait
until then.

BUT - if you need it for work NOW, I would go with a G4 PB. Their price has
dropped, and they are still very capable machines, and will run all the
programs of the anticipated G5s.

My system has been to use the laptop as another step up the ladder - thus -
my main puter was a Beige G3 300MHz (still working - running OS 10.2.8).
About 1.5 yrs ago - I got a Ti 800 MHz, and now - I'm waiting for Panther
to be further "tamed" and for the G5 to hit the 3 GHz mark (at least)
before moving on to that one.

Best,

Henry

PS - using the above "pattern", it would follow that my next laptop would be
a G6 based machine....lol