[Ti] Slow finder on a 17" Al

khyber courchesne courchesne at onebox.com
Fri Mar 12 13:06:11 PST 2004

JOHN - Interesting - the Safe Boot is not in my bag of tricks.  It worked
well, the finder was almost repsonsive, but upon reboot, its back to a
minute of spinning beachball when the Finder is asked to do anything.  But
after the first action, Finder is almost normal speed.

I created a new user and it is zippy and fast finder as it should be.  But
my user is crippled.

A lot of people are blaming the last security update or 10.3.2.  There seem
to be problems with 17" powerbooks and newer powermacs, who have even worse
problems.

This machine is factory only, and has tested out with TechTool Pro.
I've installed 2 copies of panther now, from different apple install CD's.
Archive and Install. Same problem regardless.

The Apple Tech Support lady thinks it is because of transfering over user
items from the TiBook, including non-OS items in home/library.   She said
she would email me some Apple article on moving machines, but she never did,
and I can't seem to find an article on the apple website.

I'm not sure what to do other than erase and install, which I'll do once I
get back home to my install disks in a few days.

Has anyone else had problems when moving to a new machine with their old
files?

Thank you everybody.