HP LCD Display instead of Apple

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Mon Mar 22 06:30:34 PST 2004

I'm thinking of buying an HP (Hewlett-Packard) L2335 23-inch display instead
of the Apple Cinema Display to use with my Powerbook G4, and television.
Advantages are:

(1) Smaller frame, more minimalist design.  The Apple Cinema displays have
all that extra plastic around the edge, like the Power Mac G4.  The HP
display reminds me more of the Power Mac G5.

(2) Cheaper, $1700 compared to $2100.  Note that the $2100 is $2000 for the
display + $100 for the "DVI to ADC converter", which is actually a power
supply for the display.

(3) HP has better policies for taking back and recycling products at end of
life than Apple does.

(4) It looks like the HP can be removed from the stand and wall-mounted (I'm
getting confirmation on this), but the Apple Cinema displays cannot.

Am I missing anything?

Jerry