[Ti] Airport File Transfer Speed

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 30 07:01:06 PST 2004

Is it running at a continuous slow speed, or are there a lot of spikes
in the throughput?
It could be that your throughput is lessened by the G4 (presumably)
being 802.11b; the whole wireless network has to slow down just for
that computer.  Doesn't seem particularly likely, though.  Check the
antenna connections, too, and move the computers around a little bit.
It could still be placement and/or interference.  Also, try creating an
ad-hoc network (eg "Create Network" in the Airport menu, then join it
from the other computer, and then try transferring files).  If you do
this while the Airport base station is still running, make sure you
choose a different channel.  Also, as I mentioned before, try different
channels with the base station too.
It could certainly be your cordless phone, though; my roommate just got
a 2.4 GHz wireless phone and, at least if I'm on channels 1 or 3, every
time he's talking on the phone, my internet completely drops out.  I'm
on channel 11 right now, and performance is better (but still not
always perfect).  I'd recommend turning off the cordless phone base,
and take the batteries out of the handset; this way, you can make sure
you're not cluttering up the 2.4 GHz band any more than necessary.  Of
course, if you live within 100 feet of your neighbors, you also are
affected by their wireless traffic, but there's not too much you can do
about that.