moving from Titanium to Albook

B Forbes bforbes at forbesonline.org
Sat May 1 08:13:36 PDT 2004

I'll be replacing a Titanium running 10.3.3 with a new 1.5
Albook shortly.  The Titanium bit the dust following an
unfortunate slippage from a carrying case resulting in a 3
foot drop to a hard floor.  Fortunately, a specific rider
on this laptop added to my home owner's insurance policy
is
picking up the entire amount for what I had it insured.

Also, fortunately I had the OS X drive backed up on an
external LaCie firewire drive as a bootable drive with
Synchronize Pro X from Qdea software.
I visited their website for moving all information from
the backup to another laptop and this is what it says.
--------------
Restoring to a PowerBook

How do I copy an OS X system from my current computer to
the internal disk of my new PowerBook ?

A: Follow these steps...

Make the PowerBook act like a FireWire disk drive.

1. Start up the new PowerBook while holding down the "T"
key. This causes the new PowerBook to start up and act
like a FireWire hard disk. When the PowerBook starts up,
you'll see a dancing FireWire symbol on the screen.

2. Connect the new PowerBook to your ent computer with a
FireWire cable. You'll see the disk on the new PowerBook
appear  on the desktop of your current computer.

Erase the new PowerBook's disk.

1. Open Disk Utility. You'll find it in the Utilities
folder, inside the Applications folder.
2. Erase the disk on the new PowerBook.
3. Quit Disk Utility.

Make a Bootable System Backup to the disk in the new
PowerBook.

Please see Making a bootable backup.

Restart your new PowerBook.

1. Disconnect the FireWire cable between your current
computer and the new PowerBook.
2. Restart the new PowerBook.

If your PowerBook doesn't immediately start up, you may
need to hold down the Option key while starting up in
order to choose the startup disk.

Also, if your new PowerBook has different hardware than
your current computer, it may be necessary to install OS X
over the backup, while preserving all system and user
settings.  This adds any additional drivers that are
required by the new computer. Make sure that the  OS X
install disk you use is the one that came with the new
computer.
----------------------------

The above doesn't sound too involved, but I would like
some advice/guidance in one area.  The Albook has a
different processor, bigger HD, and different ports from
what my Tibook had.  When I emailed Qdea support, he
indicated to do an archive and install, if the Albook
won't boot after dragging everything over from the backup
of the Tibook.

I guess it's the preserving of settings statement that
throws me ... is it the settings of like my email,
bookmarks, etc. or is the machine settings found in the
Apple system profiler?

Is this all I have to do ... am I leaving anything out in
properly getting the Albook pick up where I left off with
the Tibook?

Thanks!

Bryan F.