[Ti] moving from Titanium to Albook

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sat May 1 12:10:58 PDT 2004

I don't think I agree with this method.

There are three things you need to be concerend with:

    1. Stuff in your "Users", "home" folder(s)
    2. Drivers for your scanners, printers etc. in your System Library.
    3. Differences in System software due to different hardware.

Now, the first two items you want to copy directly from your old Mac to your
new Mac, BUT the third you want to leave as is on your new Mac.  The trouble
with the methods recommended by these suppliers of "bootable backup"
software is that it copies all three.  Using system software from a
different hardware may cause problems.  They admit this when they advise you
to reinstall system software, or do other voodoo "if you have problems".

Although it is possible that the hardware differences may not be enough to
cause "serious" problems, I would not do it this way.  I would not touch the
system software which comes installed on your new Mac.  Instead, I would
create a new account on my new computer, and transfer the items in my home
folder (Documents, Library) etc. to this new account.  This will take care
of issue #1.  Regarding issue #2, I would reinstall whatever drivers I need
for my peripherals, checking with the suppliers websites to see if new
versions are available.

Unless you use 15 different printers, scanners, MIDI, etc., I think my
method will be less work, and could be MUCH less work if you run into some
of these "problems" that the bootable backup guys warn you about.

I myself keep a bootable system backup I made with Synchronize! Pro X.  It
is in case my hard drive fails.  I would also expect it to work if my Mac
failed and I replaced it with another Mac of the same type.  But I would not
necessarily expect it to start a different type of Mac.

Other opinions are welcome as I may be getting a new Mac myself soon!

Jerry Krinock