[Ti] moving from Titanium to Albook

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sun May 2 11:03:34 PDT 2004

on 04/05/02 08:35, Wilhelm Wanders at kaskudoo at freenet.de wrote:

Oh yes, after reading Wilhelm's post I realized that I forgot about
Applications.

You have to copy the Applications too.  However, this is one area where I
would play it a little fast and loose.  I have more than a hundred
applications, most of which were purchased as internet downloads, and it
would take days to redownload and reinstall all of them.  Therefore, I would
simply copy the contents of the entire /Applications folder to the new
drive.  This is because, in OS X, applications are pretty well packaged into
the /Applications folder, and also, if problems do occur, they are going to
be limited to one application.  One minor problem that is likely to occur
with many applications is that you will have to re-enter your license key
the first time you use many of them.  Warning: Do not do this if the new Mac
has a later version OS, because then you end up with old versions of many of
the Apple utilities and applications which come with the OS.

All this being said, I just called our local Apple store and they told me
that they provide free data transfer as part of their "Standard Package"
with the purchase of any new powerbook.  So, obviously that's the way to go.

Jerry