Oh Fate - how cruel ye are (broken hinge)

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Sun May 2 18:28:09 PDT 2004

John <simplymail at ururk.com> asks:
>Anyone have detailed fix-it-yourself instructions? Do I need to remove
>the LCD from the case (ie, disconnect the cables?), or can I get away
>without doing that (just remove the bezel w/out disconnecting the
>cable)?

There are several sites detailing various hinge replacement experiences
(just google and ye shall find) but so far I've found nothing that
describes a professional-level repair.

You don't need to disconnect the cables to replace hinges. The biggest
obstacles DYI folks face are how to 'crack' open the glued-together
display without buggering up the bezels, and then how to reassemble it
all so it doesn't look too horrible when it's done and won't pop apart
again on you soon afterwards.

I managed to open a display very cleanly using a piece of thin-but-stiff
plastic, such as is widely used in 'blister-pack' packaging for retail
items.
quoting myself:
On my latest broken-LCD-acquisition I used a piece of thin stiff plastic
which I slid around the edges. It popped the bezels off cleanly with
virtually no damage. The plastic I used came from some sort of
blister-packed product. I cut up the clear plastic into a strip maybe 2"
wide x several inches long. The plastic is stiff enough to be slid along
under the bezel but not so thick it bends up the metal.

Basically, you want to separate the bezel-back/hinges from the
bezel-front/LCD assembly without bending the heck out of anything. The
front bezel can remain attached to the LCD if you are only replacing the
hinges.

I first removed the 4 Torx-6 screws from the sides of the display. Then I
inserted a corner of my plastic-strip-tool-thingy into the seam at the
edge and began to work it in and around. The back bezel has a welded-on
flange which you _don't_ want to separate from the back. So you need to
work the plastic strip into the edge seam toward the front bezel rather
than toward the back. Sigh . . .

I realize the above description isn't nearly as useful as would be some
pictures, I just don't have any just yet. I just acquired _another_
broken-LCD but otherwise-good display, and I _will_ be creating a page
with pics showing it being taken apart and re-assembled.

Anyhow . . . the adhesive used to glue the LCD to the bezel back and
sides appears to be either silicon or hot-melt. I'll discover which it is
as soon as I have the time to get back to my TiBook display repairs. I
think silicon would work OK, but as I haven't tried it yet I can't say
for sure.

hth (and I apologize if it doesn't)

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/