[Ti] Ti 667 memory and drive upgrades?

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Tue May 11 10:34:20 PDT 2004

> I have a 667 PB with 512 MB  memory and 30GB drive.  My Ti drive is almost
> full and memory tight with heavy Photoshop, iMovie use.
>
> What are my best, most reliable options for drive and memory upgrade to avoid
> buying new PB (brand, size, speed)?  Will these upgrades cause cooling
> problems?  Am I safe to do exchange myself?

My 1 GHz TiBook's 60 GB drive was getting full, so I just upgraded the drive
to an 80 GB one running at 5400 RPM instead of 4200 RPM. It's made a
noticeable difference! And I picked up a case for the old drive, giving 60
gigs of external storage/backup.

The drive is by Hitachi/IBM Travelstar and cost $249.99 from Other World
Computing:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6337&Item=HIT08K0639

The case: http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=3420&Item=OWCMOTGFW

I'm still running with 512 MB of RAM, but upgrading the RAM to 1 GB would
help; I recall doing that with my last TiBook.

It's perfectly safe and easy to do these two upgrades yourself.

--Bill