[Ti] New Matias keyboard (clackity, clack) on my new Powerbook.

Gene Steinberg gene at macnightowl.com
Fri May 14 09:52:06 PDT 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 9:48 AM, John Griffin wrote:

> I just replaced my old MacAlly iMedia keyboard with a Matias Tactile
> Pro. As
> soon as I started typing, every head in the office and down the hall
> turned.
> What a racket! It reminds me of the good old days of the 128K Macs and
> those
> telegraph-style keys. It has the same Alps switches of the old Macs
> and the
> Mac Pro keyboard rather than the rubber membranes that modern
> keyboards use.
> This thing is noisy, easy to type on and built like a tank.
>
> And after the initial shock of the sound level (I type with fairly
> heavy
> fingers) and after closing the door of my office and doing some
> heavy-duty
> work, I have to conclude that my typos seem to be much fewer and far
> between.
>
> One caveat: this keyboard uses a lot more juice then most keyboards.
> Because
> of this I found my Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro unable to work when
> plugged
> into the USB port of the keyboard - so it had to be moved to the back
> of the
> Monitor.
>
> Jg

My reaction is very much the same, but you can type faster, more
comfortably and end up with less potential for wrist pains at the end
of a long day. Maybe someone will come up with a "silent switch."

_ _ _ _
Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Author, "The Mac OS 10.3 Panther Little Black Book"
http://www.macnightowl.com.
Co-author, "Attack of the Rockoids"
http://www.rockoids.com
Correspondent, USAToday.com