[Ti] Powerbook scamming the scammer

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Tue May 18 08:20:23 PDT 2004

On 18 May 2004, at 15:45, Ritz, Daniel wrote:

> Watch for new sellers with little feedback... and use escrow!!

Taking a step back, it's not that people who fall for the scams are
actually "stupid" but that we are still learning about "how to do
business on the internet".

In real life transactions we have many defense mechanisms which monitor
for suspicious activity and take action. Just think about how you
conduct business when someone comes to your house to pay for an ebay
auction: You count the money, he has your address, cheques are frowned
upon as they can bounce, etc.

On the internet verification of identity is the hardest problem of all,
and from that stem a lot of the possible vectors for fraud. A "trusted
third party" (e.g. a well regarded and insured escrow agency) can be a
very good defense against such attacks, so your advice is well given,
Daniel.

One final note about internet scamming. There are so many scams,
hacking incidents, denial of service attacks, viruses and so on, that
law enforcement agents (at the high-tech crime unit in the UK, for
example) have more cases that they can shake a stick at. They are
aggressively prioritising them and so many get rejected.

However in your example things are not so bleak. $2000 worth of goods
was taken from you by deception, and your local (i.e. not the FBI)
police force may be interested in investigating it. However, if the
case is cross-border (in your example US-Canada) it may be very
difficult to get cooperation from the other countries' police force to
actually prosecute.

There is a silver-lining though. The Cybercrime treaty signed in
Budapest 2000 (by many countries)  sought to address this (and many
other problems) and USA and Canada are both signed up to it (and have
implemented special police forces to deal with such crimes).

My suggestion is if this happens to you, contact your local police
force, and have a frank discussion with them about your case. If you
have good evidence, and they believe that this scam might be part of a
larger operation of organized criminals they may pursue it further. If
not; well at least you tried.

Too many crimes of this nature go unreported, so I urge all victims of
scams to report these incidents to the relevant authority (and be
prepared to hand over documentation of the emails etc.) to help them.
Having spoken to several of the senior police inspectors at the UK
high-tech crime unit, I know that this is how they feel about the
situation. You never know, they might actually find your case worth
investigating.

--
Tarik