[Ti] Off_Topic: Are there OSX viruses?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Thu May 20 01:43:32 PDT 2004

On 20 May 2004, at 09:36, malcolm cornelius wrote:

>>  Therefore as far as i can see, you don't need any signature based
>> Virus
>>  detection on your Powerbook (I don't use any).
>
> How about to catch word or excel marco viri ?
>
> Best

They are pretty much dead these days. I haven't seen an example of one
on the windows platform in quite some time, although these could still
theoretically exist.

Trojans and blended threat worms are so powerful these days on Windows
that I don't think people would bother with these any more. I could be
wrong though.

I am expecting the first Mac OS X malicious code to be a worm,
exploiting a remote exploit. In fact a remote exploit was announced by
Secunia earlier this week, but as yet I haven't had 5 minutes to go
check it out and see the nature of the problem.

I'll do some research into this and get back to you, as I am currently
doing some research work into Mac OS X security issues.

--
Tarik