[Ti] Off_Topic: Are there OSX viruses?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Thu May 20 02:03:17 PDT 2004

On 20 May 2004, at 09:55, Wilhelm Wanders wrote:

> that was quite new to me, that it actually 'could' work on a mac, well
> it used MS word and its macro language =)
> didn't do any harm hough - and that was the only thingy i ever saw on
> my mac

Macro viruses were very popular in the 1980's and early 90's, but a
combination of bugfixing in the MS VBA macro language and discovery of
new vectors (more for this reason) such as the remote exploit worm make
them a "low risk" threat these days.

However they do exist in the wild (which worm was it that you had
Wilhelm?) so they still represent a threat.

There is no harm in using Virus scanning software, and you could catch
some of these worms. In fact I recommend that all hosts on a network
are virus scanned.

The trojan proof of concept that looks like an mp3 is FAR more
worrying. I see that Sophos have it in their database and are scanning
for it.

Ok i need to go and do some work -- see you all later.

--
Tarik