[Ti] Verify Disk Permissions?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Sat May 22 07:43:52 PDT 2004

On 22 May 2004, at 15:31, Kim Gammelgaard wrote:

> Tarik, have you ever had a situation where there was any, and I mean
> any at
> all, risk of data loss from running Disk Permissions?

No, and I should not have used the word "loss", but I would say that
there is a low risk of a problem in the following scenario.

1. Accidentally or maliciously the contents of the bills of receipt in
/Library/Receipts/ were changed.

2. The user unwittingly ran "repair disk permissions"  and the computer
started misbehaving (encountering disk permissions problems).

All this utility (disk utility) does is check the .bom files in
/Library/Receipts/, and change (using chmod) the disk permissions based
on that. As long as those files are not modified everything should be
fine.

I'm guessing the engineers who built the disk utility put the verify
option in just for change management good practice and consistency with
earlier disk utility applications.

In the grand scheme of things, hitting repair and hoping is probably
OK, but verify might be useful to detect the situation in 1. , above.

Hope that makes what I meant clearer.

--
Tarik