[Ti] Big problem: TiPB keeps ejecting CDs and DVDs

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sat May 22 11:48:22 PDT 2004

Lisbeth Zachs typed this message on 5/22/04 6:11 AM:

> Everybody else having this problem with the Tibook should start by
> making certain that the top and bottom of the CDdrive is connected.
> When the Tibook gets older it gets wobbly and a gentle squeeze right in
> the centre of the drive will cause a snaping sound then when it
> reconnects. (Longfinger at the bottom and the thumb in the centre of
> the handrest on top will do it) After that it is time to go through all
> the little screws at the bottom and under the keyboard to get as much
> sturdiness as possible back to the Tibook. (and then check the squeeze
> trick again before loading the CD :-)) It also helps to use really thin
> CD:s to get the drive used to work again. Good quality music CDs is
> better then self burned once e.g.

Liz, you win the top prize! I sent your suggestion on to my friend and "POP"
the connector connected and he had the use of the media drive again.

Thanks for the help.

BTW: I also suggested that he might remove the bottom and check for a
buildup of dust inside. However, I had better be there to help because I
know that if you don't align things just right putting the bottom back on,
you can have problems.

One of the things that also crossed my mind is that the Coolpad base might
be part of the problem. The Powerbook has spent most of its life sitting on
one of these supported only at the front and back edge, letting the middle
part sag. Over time, this might have caused the connector to work its way
out.

jg