[Ti] Your PB and night

Kim Gammelgaard kgani at mac.com
Sat May 22 14:58:49 PDT 2004

On 22/05/04 23:34, "b" <fl1pper at earthlink.net> wrote:

> yeah, sorry about that, I typed in a hurry and included the hyphens,
> whereas, on my Mac it's aliased without hyphens (just a space between
> arguments... and i meant a sequence, not a pipe. you know semi-colons
> instead of pipe symbols (i.e. this: ;  instead of this: | ).
>
> Except for that ... <laughs>  seriously, sorry for the typos. As for
> the notion that it doesn't work:
>
> Subject: flipper.local. daily run output
>
> Removing scratch and junk files:
(etc.)

Interesting!, I guess that you have not run Repair Permissions lately then,
and have changed permissions quite seriously. (did you do a 777 on /var/log
or something? )

If you run periodics without the sudo on a system with standard permission
settings, you get something like this:

[kgani at Kims-PowerBook:/var/log] % periodic daily weekly monthly
/usr/sbin/periodic: line 1: /var/log/daily.out: Permission denied
cat: stdout: Broken pipe
cat: stdout: Broken pipe
/usr/sbin/periodic: line 1: /var/log/weekly.out: Permission denied
cat: stdout: Broken pipe
/usr/sbin/periodic: line 1: /var/log/monthly.out: Permission denied
cat: stdout: Broken pipe
[kgani at Kims-PowerBook:/var/log] %

But the fun thing this learned me is that you don't need any separators in
that line, and that you can do them all at once:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Cheers,

Kim