[Ti] [OT] Floppy problem

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Mon May 24 21:08:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004, the following words from Wilhelm Wanders
kaskudoo at freenet.de, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>On May 24, 2004, at 10:03 PM, cheshirekat wrote:
>
>> I just bought my first CD-RWs and am wondering how many times I
>> can rewrite to them.
>
>some say you can rewrite them up to a 1000 times .... the most i ever
>used was maybe 20 or so ....
>but cd's are not the final good decision for backup.

That many times? That's interesting. I pulled the CD player out of the XP
for the hubby and replaced it with a DVD player/CD-RW. The main reason
I'm venturing to CD-RWs is because the hubby refuses to backup to CDs if
he can't rewrite to them like floppy diskettes. So I've been doing all
his backups so the roof won't cave in when he loses all his data. I just
barely got him to start hot-synching the Palm I bought him on a regular
basis. So, I bought the CD-RWs and need to learn it on both my Mac and XP
so I can show him and have more time to do my own stuff. (I still have
far too many things I want to learn to do with my Mac if I can squeeze
some extra time out of my life.)

I usually backup to an external hard drive and then duplicate a subset of
my documents, URLs, etc. to CD-Rs. I recently bought an external DVD+RW
because my external hard drive died just after the one year warranty
period passed. I ordered a replacement hard drive, but Fedex lost my
package, so it will probably be ages before they settle my claim. The
external also burns CDs much faster than my Ti's internal combo-drive. I
went from 18 minutes per burn down to just 6 minutes. I figured that
since I'm doing so many CD/DVD backups in the interim that I may as well
explore the CDRWs and DVDRWs. I think re-writable media will be a good
supplement to my external hard drive, but I agree they aren't the best
single method.

I haven't had any problems with my CDs getting damaged from scratches or
chipping because I always keep them in a case. I bought a box of the slim
CD cases (about 200) on sale and still haven't used them all up yet. I
don't even like to let people touch my CDs and DVDs after seeing how
people tend to handle their own. I'm even more careful with my backup
data. I prefer the CDs to floppies or being mobile with my heavy external
drive, but I do have to take care how I pack them in my BrentHaven backpack.

cheshirekat
--
Now the rich stream of Music winds along
Deep, majestic, smooth, and strong,

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.8 * 768 MB Ram *
* Addictions: iTunes 4 * WarCraft * The Sims * FileMaker Pro