Crash - System Preferences

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon May 31 03:10:57 PDT 2004

I seem to be having some network/connection problems, maybe after the
10.3.4 upgrade.

This post is about my networking:

My dialup connection from home works perfectly, in all respects.

My connection throught the LAN at the College does not seem to be
working properly.
I can send and receive POP mail.

But everything else (web surfing, Folding at Home, Software Update,
SpeedDownload) that uses internet services through the proxy server -
that requires a password - does not seem to work.

For example, Safari shows:

	HTTP 407 Proxy Authentication Required
	The ISA Server requires authorization to fulfill the request.
	Access to the Web Proxy service is denied. (12209)
	Internet Security and Acceleration Server

The Network Preferences are fully completed (as always) with all the
proxy server info, username, password.  This all worked fine for
months and months.

I think it is either a problem with the ISP proxy server (how would
you know?) or with the OS upgrade.

I am collecting info on both aspects.

I tried to re-put the username and password for the proxy server (on
the off-chance that this would solve the problem...), but each time,
at the moment I check the "proxy server requires password" box, the
System Preferences crashes.  Every time.
This leads me to think that this part of the OS is not working properly.

Has anyone else noticed this instability, or had a similar problem
with their proxy server?

regards,  Trevor