[Ti] disconnecting ... (forever)

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Mon May 31 11:31:26 PDT 2004

At 12:21 PM -0400 2004.05.31, Tom R. no spam wrote:

>Hmmmmm....  An alternate view might be that to be human is just
>to make the unexplainable explainable. :-)  Ie, that and 5 fingers
>is how we evolved, from little squirrel-like animals poking
>around curiously, into the "fittest" species on Earth.  ;-}  Now
>we humans have gotten so good at things that we want everything
>to fit us, rather than us fit them.  Is this the primal cry of the
>human being?

That's a better explanation for Windows!

The case in question is an example. The modem says "disconnecting" forever, until you restart. I guess you can just restart when this happens. Or you can get the app End Hanging Disconnect and run it to disconnect the modem. That's adaptation.

But a modem that can properly disconnect on its own when it's supposed to is better.

That is not rocket science and it is not wrong, even if it does adapt to humans who have learned how easy it is to hang up a telephone.

What kind of world are we building? What values are we, as Macintosh/PowerBook owners, standing for?
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)