[Ti] need root help

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon May 31 12:14:28 PDT 2004

Well, it's certainly never a good idea to use the root user for
anything, unless you have to.  However, simply having it *enabled* is
not a security risk; the security risk comes from using it when you
shouldn't be.

And no, it's almost certainly not a backdoor; this is on a computer
that is used only an hour or two per day, is always behind at *least*
one firewall (and one or two levels of NAT as well), has no E-mail
access set up, and is only used for browsing a very small selection of
websites, of which I trust all of them.  Furthermore, it contains no
sensitive data (not even my passwords), so I'm not too worried about
it.  It worked as expected the first time I was working with it, so I
expect there's probably a corrupt preference file somewhere, or perhaps
NetInfo got screwed up...