[Ti] PC travelstars in tibooks?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 25 19:05:25 PST 2004

SMART status is not likely to change.  It measures a variety of
performance metrics (such as error rates, how long it takes the drive
to spin up, etc.) and uses those measurements over time to try to guess
when the drive is beginning to lose its reliability.  Just that you
mention having headaches with it probably indicates that there are
major hardware problems.
Other signs of failure are drives that exhibit unusually slow
performance, or any kind of unusual scraping, repetitive clicking, or
other noise.  Those often indicate that your drive has only hours left
to live.