[Ti] Loss of AC power

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 26 18:56:58 PST 2004

The usual thing that happens with these is the power plug breaks inside
the computer.  If you plug it in and can wiggle the plug more than just
a very, very small amount, there's a good chance it broke.  It is
possible that the power adapter itself is broken, but very unlikely.
Even more unlikely is that your power manager just needs a reset, but
it's worth a try.  Different models do this differently; some have the
reset button on the back, some under the keyboard by the power button
(a little silver and gold button), and some use the key combo
Control-Option-Shift-Power.  No matter which one you need to use for
your computer (check Apple's support page), shut it down first.

Also to note: more recent power adapters (starting with about the 65
Watt ones, I believe) do have a protection circuit built in; if
something like a refrigerator is on the same circuit, the power adapter
may shut itself off to protect the computer.  In this case, the power
adapter must be unplugged from the wall to reset it.  The only way to
prevent this is to find a circuit that does not have a large load on
it, or to use a UPS or similar device that is capable of correcting
over and under-voltage (preferably without going to battery backup to
do so).