[Ti] apop and Panther Mail.app

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Oct 3 00:10:40 PDT 2004

On Oct 2, 2004, at 11:52 PM, mac2 wrote:

> I spent a very frustrating hour on the phone trying to help a friend,
> who is using her powerbook and going through wayport ISP services in a
> hotel to get back to her home ISP.  The ISP said that her mail program
> was trying to authenticate via apop, which they don't support.
>
> I have gone through the settings in Mail.app, and I just don't see it.
>  Am I just overlooking a switch for apop authentication somewhere?

Who is this ISP?

When the initial connection is made to a POP server, the server
displays a timestamp in its banner.  The client uses this timestamp to
create an MD5 hash string that is shared between the server and client.
  The next time the client connects to the server (e.g., to check for
new mail) it will issue a command (APOP) and the hash string.  This
reduces the number of times that a user's userid and password are
transmitted in clear text.

Tell your friend to tell the ISP's tech support person to get a clue,
and they could start by referring to the specification for POP3 servers
which is covered in RFC 1725.
--
Chris