[Ti] From Listmon, Signature Offence

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 13:51:17 PDT 2004

Eric Pentice typed this message on 10/4/04 3:04 PM:

> I want to clarify this. John is correct that generally signatures are
> assumed to be the opinion of the sender and are not subject to the same
> requirements of the rest of the messages to the list.
>
> That said, any signatures, that are sexual, include profanity, or like
> John's reference genitals are certainly not welcome on the list. The
> general guiding factor on the lists should be keeping a tone that is
> constructive or helpful. Anything that has an attacking tone should be
> left off the list.

I think you can sum up by saying signatures that contain hate messages (any,
no matter what side you are coming from) or sexually abusive innuendo should
be investigated by the sender's ISP with a view of cutting off connection
privileges.

But the fact is there is little or no recourse open to anyone who happens to
read it and is offended by it.

And yes, this Listserve IMHO is a model of how lists should be handled. Way
to go, Eric!

jg