[Ti] cd's won't mount

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 15 14:35:09 PDT 2004

It tries to read the disk and then just spits it out 30 seconds later?
You've tried reading a variety of disks (including both burned and ones
stamped at a factory)?

Optical drives tend to go bad after a while, and I think it's often
just because they get some dust in the lens.  You have two options; the
first is to take it in for repair.  It'll probably cost $3-400.  The
other option is to try and blow it out - if that doesn't work, you
might end up damaging the drive further (or possibly even something
else in the computer), and I take no responsibility if you choose to do
this...  But it sometimes works, and it'll save you some money.  Best
option would be to use an air compressor.  A few weeks ago, this
happened to my sister, and I had her use a bike pump.  It's probably
not the best source of air, but it worked for her.
I'm not sure I'd recommend using any of that canned air you can buy
(for the purpose of blowing out electronics) because you might end up
spraying the liquid all over the place in a confined space such as the
optical drive.  Similarly, just blowing by mouth can get saliva or
other things in the slot.  Anyway, just turn the computer off, point
some air in the slot, blow for a while, turn it back on, and give the
optical drive another try.

Try it at your own risk...