[Ti] Retrospect vs. ABS Plus (back-up solutions)

Malcolm Hamilton malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca
Tue Oct 19 10:55:01 PDT 2004

Hi all,
I recently bought Retrospect 6.0 to back up to an external fw drive,
which I've now done a few times.  I'm sure this is a good program,
but I'm amazed by how long it takes!  My first back up took quite a
while, understandably, but my incremental backups since then also
seem to take a long time.
(I should mention right now that I'm using a powerbook Titianium,
400MHz, with 768 MB or RAM).
I timed my last back-up:  it took just over an hour; and it was
working at around 200 MB/minute.

An option I'd consider, if people here who use it recommend it highly
enough, is the CMS ABS Plus hardware/software unit.  It claims to
work at speeds of 400 MB a second!  (vs. 200 MB a minute for
Retrospect).

I realize that on my older powerbook I wouldn't get the "blazing"
speeds CMS lays claim to, but even at half that speed, 200 MB/second,
it would be 60 times faster than my Retrospect experience.

Any thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance,
Malcolml