[Ti] [OT] humor from slashdot

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sat Oct 16 06:25:14 PDT 2004

On Oct 16, 2004, at 2:16 AM, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> "It's not a hoax," Kryeziu added in response to widespread skepticism
> about CherryOS on the net. "We have a name and a reputation. We need
> to protect that."
>
> I wonder what the reputation will be after this?  At least they
> certainly have a reputation now – the question is which kind. :-)

Last night I posted a rather long summary of events that has taken
place since Tuesday with CherryOS.  My post was caught by the message
size filter, requires list moderator approval, so it never made it to
the list.

CherryOS is not only a hoax, Leander Kahney was used as the medium to
get the story to Wired.com, and subsequently Slashdot, so a small
company named VX30 in Hawaii could stress test a Java based streaming
media application they developed.  The CherryOS application turned out
to be a rip-off of an open source GPL project called PearPC.  What
started out as humor from Slashdot may turn into lawsuit from FSF
against CherryOS (if the product is ever released).

Leander Kahney will be reporting all the details on Wired.com on Monday.
--
Chris