[Titanium] accessing networks

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Sep 14 15:50:36 PDT 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 2:33 PM, John Lyon wrote:

> I would disagree with this. My home LAN is really a Windows based LAN
> (for my wife, mostly, who works at Dell.) Printing to the shared
> printers under every other version of OS X was problematic at best.
> 10.3 allowed me, finally, to access printers and shares as easily as
> if I were using a 'doze peecee.

They added support for "Windows Printing" in Panther, which wasn't
there in Jaguar.  Also, Panther added the GIMPPrint drivers for many
common printers, which had to be installed separately in Jaguar, along
with the ghostscript interpreter.  As far as the actual SMB (Server
Message Block) protocol which Windows uses for filesharing, I don't
think there was much changed (if anything at all).  Perhaps a new
release of Samba under the hood, but functionality should remain the
same (until Microsoft decides to break something again with their own
protocol, which happens every time they release a new OS version it
seems).

I should mention that Panther has SWAT (Samba Web Administration Tool)
in it too.  It's not enabled by default, but by following the
instructions here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/macsupport/swat/

you can enable it.  SWAT gives you many more options for configuring
the SMB client/server.
--
Chris