[Ti] Almost loaded Panther off the PC card...

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Sep 15 17:16:19 PDT 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 6:30 PM, b wrote:

> By the way, i know you know your stuff vis-a-vis the Ti parts and all.
>   In the fall from the ledge last year (aka the 'theft'), my Power key
> was bent also. It works fine, but is a bit unsettling with it
> appearing 'depressed' (as in 'on the bias', not 'sad'). One edge of
> the silver power button is pretty well flush with the book (maybe a
> couple millis below the rim), but the opposite edge of the button is
> clearly a few 'extra' millis lower. It's been a while since the
> accident, and I forget if there is any actual 'tactile' response from
> a normal button when pressed. Is there?

No, there's no feedback response AFAIK.  It's just a momentary switch.

> So what's up with the keyboards for the 667s, are they pretty
> interchangeable with 'neighboring models', and is it certain (as seems
> logical), that the character generation issue is localised to the
> actual keypad, and not internally generated? It never does anything
> while disconnected, but i fear some sort of 'interdependent' issue.
> (as in "IF the keyboard is plugged in AND some <unspecified situation>
> is also present, THEN...). Nothing has ever spilled on it or in it, so
> i have no idea what started it all, but it started early on.

The keyboard for the 667 DVI, 800, 867, and 1.0 GHz models are the
same.  Part # is 922-5199.

The keyboard for the 550/667 gigabit ethernet models is different.
Part # is 922-4622.

There's something damaged in your keyboard.  Each key has a little
scissors assy under it, and it pushes down on a rubber protected switch
when the key is pressed.  Something has happened so that switches are
making contact that aren't supposed to be, probably from just pressing
adjacent keys to the ones with bad switches.

The cost of a new board is only about $130.
--
Chris