[Ti] Almost loaded Panther off the PC card...

b syrflip at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 16:30:48 PDT 2004

Chris Olson paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On Sep 15, 2004, at 5:43 PM, b wrote:
>
>>  Someone, elsewhere, said that even putting a new Super or Combo
>>internal drive in, even from Apple, wouldn't be a guaranteed boot
>>drive. Or is that a 3rd-party issue, something about licensing, or
>>was it just someone trying to make me feel worse about it all?
>
>No, OWC has third-party drive upgrades, and your Ti will boot fine
>with those drives by holding down the C key during powerup.  My wife
>has a Ti-400, bumped to 500 MHz by changing a jumper on the logic
>board, with an OWC Mercury Ti-SuperDrive in it.  It boots fine from
>the optical drive, and even burns DVD-R's with iDVD (takes awhile to
>render though).  It's fully supported by all Apple software/hardware.
>--
>Chris

well that IS good news. I was familiar with the OWC patch for
external drives to run iDVD, etc, but this is much more important to
me. Thanks Chris,

By the way, i know you know your stuff vis-a-vis the Ti parts and
all.   In the fall from the ledge last year (aka the 'theft'), my
Power key was bent also. It works fine, but is a bit unsettling with
it appearing 'depressed' (as in 'on the bias', not 'sad'). One edge
of the silver power button is pretty well flush with the book (maybe
a couple millis below the rim), but the opposite edge of the button
is clearly a few 'extra' millis lower. It's been a while since the
accident, and I forget if there is any actual 'tactile' response from
a normal button when pressed. Is there?

Also, in an unrelated event. My internal keyboard generates
characters all on it's own. Terribly bad when signing-in somewhere,
logging on to anything, etc. I keep it disconnected internally and
all is well, of course. But I lug around a keyboard.

So what's up with the keyboards for the 667s, are they pretty
interchangeable with 'neighboring models', and is it certain (as
seems logical), that the character generation issue is localised to
the actual keypad, and not internally generated? It never does
anything while disconnected, but i fear some sort of 'interdependent'
issue. (as in "IF the keyboard is plugged in AND some <unspecified
situation> is also present, THEN...). Nothing has ever spilled on it
or in it, so i have no idea what started it all, but it started early
on.

~flipper