[Ti] Titanium only?

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 17 17:21:48 PDT 2004

At 17:01 -0700 17/9/04, Eric Pentice wrote:
>I can certainly understand the sentiment but
>this is how the life of lists work. What was
>once a place where all the cutting edge people
>could talk about all the cool new stuff becomes
>a group of guys sitting around reminiscing about
>the good ole times.
>
>A Listmom, I'm working on getting the lists back
>to a healthy state. Between issues with the ISP
>that was running the list server and my life
>being all crazy (day job can get in the way
>sometimes), many of the lists have gotten a
>little out of control.
>
>A big part of this is getting the lists focused back on their topics.
>
>In the past I've not wanted to do a general PB
>list because there are some good ones out there
>but since so many people on Titanium we're
>feeling like they wanted a place I thought I'd
>create one.
>
>If it would help, I'd be happy to invite all the
>Titanium list users to the new PowerBook list so
>they have an easy way to subscribe.
>
>Eric Prentice
>listmom
>

>On Sep 17, 2004, at 3:49 PM, Chris Olson wrote:
>
>>On Sep 17, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Peter Krug wrote:
>>
>>>Listen to the G-books list for a while - it's
>>>mostly "how do I get this old hardware to work
>>>with X application" or "where can I get part Y
>>>for my PB 3400".  We need to keep the aluminum
>>>discussions with the titanium discussions,
>>>IMHO, because they are focused mostly on
>>>current issues with current operating systems
>>>and recent hardware.
>>
>>I would tend to agree.  Issues surrounding the
>>Ti and Al Powerbooks are basically the same.
>>I'd hate to see the Al owners go to a different
>>list because when the collective knowledge
>>stays in one place, the WOTL (Wisdom Of The
>>List) is generally more effective.
>>--
>>Chris

Eric,

I agree that one big list might be too diverse,
maybe just some tuning of the existing lists is
needed.

Rename (or refocus) the PowerBook list to cover
G3 and earlier PB (dare I say it but called Pre
G4 PowerBooks).  And rename the Ti list to cover
G4 and newer (perhaps called Post G3 PowerBooks) .

You could go for a 68XXX (from the Portable to
the Duo - or whatever) / PowerPC split but that
is probably just as confusing.

I currently subscribe to both existing lists but
creating new lists (Pre Ti, Ti, Al, G5, G5 2nd
Generation, G6 etc) as new machines come out
would become pretty overwhelming in short order.
Regards,

Mark (}-:

AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Gémir, pleurer, prier, est également lâche.
Fais énergiquement ta longue et lourde tâche,
Dans la voie où le Sort a voulu t'appeler,
Puis, après, comme moi, souffre et meurs sans parler.  -- Vigny