[Ti] HD acting funny

H.Peet Foster HPeetFoster-Design at snet.net
Thu Sep 23 19:21:53 PDT 2004

I have to say that i had a very similar experience on a 400mhz tibook
w. 1gig DRAM.

•  Installed the two security updates and after restart experienced a
video screen freeze halfway through the startup blue screen and the log
in screen.
•  On restart never got beyond  a grey screen.
•  After resetting hardware button, achieved a blue screen with an
endlessly spinning pinwheel (not beach ball).
•  Starting in 'Safe' mode led to kernel crash with unix lines and ten
language box in center.
•  Could not start in target disk mode.
•  Could not boot from external firewire drive.

So it's off to Tekserve (great guys) and computer hell.

Their diagnosis:
•  1Gig of memory failed (both upper and lower)
•  Faulty Logic board which on 'Shut down' will not let you start back
up and show any video without resetting hardware reset button.  (On my
model, it is external on the back of the case).  However, if  you
choose 'Re-start' in stead of 'Shutdown', no problems.
•  Some inevitable corruption to the hard drive (overlapping blocks,
etc) that was non-repairable requiring pulling off data and
re-formatting and restoring data.

This requires a round trip to Apple Depot for the $395 tier one
servicing.  (Hmm, should I kick in the extra money for tier two
servicing and get the cracked hinge, screen marks, separating screen
case, etc addressed, or wait for that mythical G-5 book?)

ANYWAY, after reading all the replies to this post, the best advice
that anyone should give you is to BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE RIGHT NOW
WHILE YOU STILL CAN because you certainly have a hardware/software
issue that will take your hard drive down for the count very soon now,
(if it has not done so already).

One can speculate that the security updates had something to do with
this but it is highly unlikely!  This was my first thought also.
However, you probably have a hardware issue, either memory and/or logic
board, that is starting to act up.  Inevitably, this will cause
corruption to the data written to your drive.  The first symptoms will
be the ones you are describing affecting the operating system, start up
and overall performance, spinning beachball, etc.  Eventually, when you
are writing some critical data file, the corruption will occur
obliterating and overwriting your original file.

Did I say back up while you still can?

I expect to be without my computer until Monday.  (That will be one
week.  God, withdrawal is hard!)  But, I am up and running, thanks to
Carbon Copy Cloner, on my wife's Bronze Keyboard G3 Power Book, while
my TiBook round trips to Apple.  (I swapped her internal drive with my
external drive back up).

So back up, my friend and take your book down to someone you trust to
check out your memory and logic board.

Peet

H. Peet Foster-Design
32 Bramble Lane