[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

b syrflip at verizon.net
Sat Sep 25 23:40:17 PDT 2004

Chris Olson paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On Sep 25, 2004, at 8:36 PM, b wrote:
>
>>on a related note, is the 1.1 security update of not long ago for
>>10.2.8 inclusive of the software that destroyed people's ftp
>>tunneling, or do I need to install the bad update, followed by the
>>'patch' ?
>
>You can go directly to the patch.  They forgot to link tnftpd with
>libpam, so systemwide authentication was broken.  I had thought the
>original was pulled, but I haven't checked.
>--
>Chris

The reason I asked is that the file sizes are very different, as
listed in Software Update. I haven't installed the last three, yet.
One from August, and two others that were a week apart, this month.
So, I take it I should probably install the larger, earlier, update,
and then restart and install the patch, then? I'm only spooked due to
the lack of an option to reinstall the OS if something goes seriously
haywire.

Thanks for the other comments, also, Chris, re the dsl line throttle.
The odd thing is, if i'm uploading, usinf 18KB of width, there's no
'room' on another stream downloading, so that it appears that the
18KB upload is somehow snatching all available badwidth... which
really doesn't make sense to me, unless the line is throttled
'intelligently' (sort of), by closing off the line at one rate of
bandwidth for outgoing packets, and a different rate when the packets
are 'incoming'.

~flipper