[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Sep 26 00:26:40 PDT 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 1:40 AM, b wrote:

> The reason I asked is that the file sizes are very different, as
> listed in Software Update. I haven't installed the last three, yet.
> One from August, and two others that were a week apart, this month.
> So, I take it I should probably install the larger, earlier, update,
> and then restart and install the patch, then? I'm only spooked due to
> the lack of an option to reinstall the OS if something goes seriously
> haywire.

The documentation is available here for the updates:

None of them will disable the system (render it unbootable).  If
something went drastically wrong (power off halfway thru an update for
instance) you'd at the worst end up with a broken component in the
subsystem.  In addition, we don't reboot either desktop or server
machines for updates unless kernel extensions need to be reloaded.  We
kill the Software Update process upon completion, and use SystemStarter
to restart affected subsystems.  Open Terminal and 'man SystemStarter'
for details.
--
Chris