[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Sun Sep 26 06:16:43 PDT 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 3:34 AM, Chris Olson wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2004, at 2:26 AM, Chris Olson wrote:
>
>> We kill the Software Update process upon completion, and use
>> SystemStarter to restart affected subsystems.  Open Terminal and 'man
>> SystemStarter' for details.
>
> Just an example of how effective this method is -- I'm a dual G4
> PowerMac right now, and uptime shows:
>
> Last login: Sun Sep 26 02:25:26 on ttyp1
> Welcome to Darwin!
> [PowerMacG4c:~] chris% uptime
>  2:29  up 307 days, 17:20, 2 users, load averages: 0.77 0.72 0.68

Holy crap Batman!  And I was pround of my Powerbook's 42 days of uptime
until last thursday when I finally broke down and installed the latest
round of security updates.  But how do you know for sure which
subsystems were affected and which programs to restart?  Or should I
RTF man pages?  They always seem to confuse me - sample commands
explaining the variables would be real helpful for me.

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 1.3.9 on Mac OS X 10.3.5