[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

b syrflip at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 07:05:51 PDT 2004

Peter Krug paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On Sep 26, 2004, at 3:34 AM, Chris Olson wrote:
>
>>On Sep 26, 2004, at 2:26 AM, Chris Olson wrote:
>>
>>>We kill the Software Update process upon completion, and use
>>>SystemStarter to restart affected subsystems.  Open Terminal and
>>>'man SystemStarter' for details.
>>
>>Just an example of how effective this method is -- I'm a dual G4
>>PowerMac right now, and uptime shows:
>>
>>Last login: Sun Sep 26 02:25:26 on ttyp1
>>Welcome to Darwin!
>>[PowerMacG4c:~] chris% uptime
>>  2:29  up 307 days, 17:20, 2 users, load averages: 0.77 0.72 0.68
>>
>Holy crap Batman!  And I was pround of my Powerbook's 42 days of
>uptime until last thursday when I finally broke down and installed
>the latest round of security updates.  But how do you know for sure
>which subsystems were affected and which programs to restart?

I would think that reading the cve or relevant article at
docs.info.apple.com relating to the specific updates would show, in
the headers for the article, which subsystem or component was
affected. whether it's the CoreFoundation, Apache, a single app,
Kerberos, etc.

Maybe just restarting that particular component, or app (if it's
actually launched or booted at login), would do the trick. But it's a
terrific thing, no?

I have a friend in Scotland who reboots his G4 server every day. And
i've wondered why? Even the MS servers don't have to do that, unless
there's redundancy and they just want to stay as fully-operational as
possible. But this tip is amazing.

~flipper