[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Sun Sep 26 07:20:51 PDT 2004

>>But how do you know for sure which subsystems were affected and which programs to restart?
>
>I would think that reading the cve or relevant article at docs.info.apple.com relating to the specific updates would show, in the headers for the article, which subsystem or component was affected. whether it's the CoreFoundation, Apache, a single app, Kerberos, etc.

Anyone who believes that the consumer documentation will state every subsystem that is affected would only be kidding them self.

>Maybe just restarting that particular component, or app (if it's actually launched or booted at login), would do the trick. But it's a terrific thing, no?

Only if you are in need of some inner ego of seeing a large uptime number.

How big is your car? How high off the ground? What color is it?

>I have a friend in Scotland who reboots his G4 server every day. And i've wondered why? Even the MS servers don't have to do that, unless there's redundancy and they just want to stay as fully-operational as possible.

And some servers are set to automatically reboot every night when things are slow.
--

Robert Ameeti

Good friends stab you in the front.