[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

b syrflip at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 08:06:24 PDT 2004

Robert Ameeti paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>  >>But how do you know for sure which subsystems were affected and
>which programs to restart?
>>
>>I would think that reading the cve or relevant article at
>>docs.info.apple.com relating to the specific updates would show, in
>>the headers for the article, which subsystem or component was
>>affected. whether it's the CoreFoundation, Apache, a single app,
>>Kerberos, etc.
>
>Anyone who believes that the consumer documentation will state every
>subsystem that is affected would only be kidding them self.

I think the SysStarter will actually relaunch the items that are
related to, or linked with, the service involved. it's somewhat
automatic, from the looks of it.

I tried the process with the png update, and was unable to actually
isolate a valid 'service', so i did the easiest thing, I just ran
SyatemStarter from the Console, with no arguments (used the verbose
option, just for fun). And all the systems relaunched while the Mac
stayed up and running. Very interesting.

To answer the Why do this?, question: very simple: i didn't feel like
waiting ten minutes after a reboot to have Acrobat Pro, Zend,
VirtualPC, Photoshop, and 15 other apps... relaunch. put another way,
the subsystems can reboot, while one's work is preserved in an 'open'
state. Completely time-saving, not having to see my third-party login
items relaunching, also...

~flipper