[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sun Sep 26 10:17:30 PDT 2004

Using SystemStarter seems pretty neat; however, reading through the
documentation that Chris mentioned raises at least one question for me.
Since SystemStarter is a legacy approach, how does one assure that the
daemons run via the new in Panther /etc/mach_init.d and
/etc/mach_init_per_user.d approach get restarted appropriately after a
system update? Just running sudo SystemStarter restart won't get such
services as MirrorAgent, lookupd, configd, etc. restarted. It sounds as
though one has to either reboot or look through the bom file that came
with the updates to determine which components were updated. If the
daemon is handled through the new mechanism then the sudo kill -HUP
<daemon> approach needs to be done, as best I can tell. Thanks for any
additional info!

Norm
Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"I have such poor vision I can date anybody."
Garry Shandling