[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Sep 26 10:48:55 PDT 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Norman Cohen wrote:

> It sounds as though one has to either reboot or look through the bom
> file that came with the updates to determine which components were
> updated. If the daemon is handled through the new mechanism then the
> sudo kill -HUP <daemon> approach needs to be done, as best I can tell.
> Thanks for any additional info!

Pretty much spot on.  Keep in mind that I don't do updates just because
they're there.  I first determine that it's really necessary for my
installation, then determine what's going to be affected before I click
"OK, let's do it".

There's occasionally blunders, like the last one with the disabled FTP
daemon.  I actually got a laugh out of that one - Apple secured the
daemon in a quite novel way - don't link the binary with libpam and
make it so *nobody* can log on.  But before I installed that update I
had backed up my old binary.  When lukemftpd got replaced with tnfptd,
and I found out it didn't work, I made a decision: I use ftp at the
command line to move stuff around so I needed it.  I can either:

1.) shut it off because it's not secure, and in the meantime switch to
using rsync while I wait for Apple to fix their blunder

2.) evaluate whether or not my old binary is really going to expose my
machine(s) to exploit, and if not, drop the old one back in.

I chose option 2 because I decided it wasn't a big deal.  Meanwhile,
the update required a system reboot, but I never did reboot it.  I shut
down my ftp daemon, dropped in the old binary, and restarted lukemftpd
again.  All this was done on my PowerBook, so I knew well ahead of time
what would happen on the production machines.  I just left them as is
and waited for the second update, which I again verified on my
PowerBook.  Once I found out that one was kosher I clicked "OK, let's
go" on the production machines.
--
Chris