[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Sep 26 11:52:35 PDT 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 1:30 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> SSH in and 'shutdown -h now' does the trick.  You can immediately tell
> if the command was successful by the scream coming from the other side
> of the bedroom door :-)

I forgot the good part - to provide maximum effect you have to say, and
loud enough so she can hear it, "I command <insert daughter's name
here> PowerBook to shut down".  Then press return.  To provide even
more effect, at an opportune time say out loud when she can hear it "I
command my daughter's PowerBook to shut down every night at 10:00 PM".
Then drop a little AppleScript in, executed by cron, that pops a
message up on the screen nightly at 10:00 PM: "Sorry, dad said I have
to shut down now".

She'll shut off speech recognition, examine the Energy Saver settings,
and every other thing that she thinks gives you control over her
PowerBook, but she'll never figure out how you do it.
--
Chris