[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

b syrflip at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 12:54:53 PDT 2004

Chris Olson paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>>Question is two-fold: Was coreservicesd the appropriate service to
>>add to the arguments,as far as the update in question was
>>concerned, and what might have been the cause of the mystery free
>>space disappearance?
>
>Well, kind of.  Kill coreservicesd and icons start disappearing all
>kinds of weird things.
>
>Executing /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd as root fires
>it up after its dead.  It's probably better to:
>ps -e | grep coreservicesd
>to identify it first, then send it a -HUP signal so you don't hose
>the look of your desktop while you're trying to figure out how to
>restart it :-)
>
>On your runaway, you can probably identify the errant process with
>top.  I'm guess a logging daemon went wild because it got alarmed
>that you perhaps tried to restart a system process that didn't
>restart.  Anything that eats several gigs in several minutes has to
>pulling major cpu.  Haven't you ever heard the old Unix admin's last
>resort?  "kill -9 them all and let inetd sort it out"
>--
>Chris

That's funny, yeah. The only thing I can think, because once i
rebooted, top was 'new', you know... is when i did the original
SystemStarter restart, I did it in verbose mode, and i could see that
a little daemon, or something, that is part of Adobe's CS suite (the
Version Cue) was not launching properly... -v mode showed lines of
repeated text : 'waiting for version cue', over and over. But it did
launch, but was very messy afterwards, with some pref files wiped,
window 'views' reset to icons, that sort of thing. Took a little
tuning up.

I'll just read more, and see what's up.

~flipper