[Ti] [OT] multi-core chips / more speed

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Apr 10 09:37:55 PDT 2005

On Apr 10, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
> Perhaps none of these will be suitable (too hot too much power, is
> always the explanation) for lWindoze aptops

Not only that, there's few apps on the PC written for dual processors,
so any apps that take advantage of dual-core cpu's will have to be
re-written.

> How does the current/future PowerPC architecture fit in to this
> picture?

There's already dual-core G4 processors, and dual-core G5's are under
development.  The Power4 and Power5 have been dual-core for quite some
time.  I'd say the Power architecture is considerably more advanced
than x86.  In fact, vastly more advanced than x86.  x86 just has lots
of marketing hoopla.
--
Chris