[Ti] [OT] multi-core chips / more speed

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 10 10:31:45 PDT 2005

> From: Chris Olson <chris.olson at astcomm.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] [OT] multi-core chips / more speed
>
> On Apr 10, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>> Perhaps none of these will be suitable (too hot too much power, is
>> always the explanation) for lWindoze aptops
>
> Not only that, there's few apps on the PC written for dual processors,
> so any apps that take advantage of dual-core cpu's will have to be
> re-written.
>
>> How does the current/future PowerPC architecture fit in to this
>> picture?
>
> There's already dual-core G4 processors, and dual-core G5's are under
> development.  The Power4 and Power5 have been dual-core for quite some
> time.  I'd say the Power architecture is considerably more advanced
> than x86.  In fact, vastly more advanced than x86.  x86 just has lots
> of marketing hoopla.
> --
> Chris

Exactly.  There are developments in the works for the dual core G5s that
Apple is looking at for the iMac, G5 towers, etc that has been mentioned in
various trade publications.   The G4 dual core is the most likely candidate
for the PowerBooks as the G5 dual cores do increase heat even more  and is a
workaround they are working on. With the iBooks, powerbooks still utilizing
G4 processors, they are the most likely candidate for the dual core G4
Freescale chips that were announced last year.  The x86 is mostly hype and a
bit behind the curve so to speak.