[Ti] [OT] satellite internet / DVB-S cards

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Apr 13 07:19:32 PDT 2005

For those of us living in 'remote' areas with no
broadband and massive censoring of the internet,
a satellite broadband connection to our Powerbook
seems a good alternative.

But this whole subject seems very unclear to me.

For example, I just came across "OPENSKY Services".
These are said to be

broadcast through DVB-S technology.

To use the services, you  need a DVB-S card which supports TCP/IP connections.

ALL the dozens of cards listed by this supplier work with Windoze,
but not one of them with a Mac OS !

ARE there cards that work with MacOS ?
What is it that prevents them working Mac OS , anyway?

I already watch TV on my Powerbook using my own
satellite dish, using EyeTV, so I feel that I
cannot be technically far away from getting an
internet connection the same route.  Setting up
EyeTV was as simple as it could possibly be.

Anyone explored the satellite internet path ?

I am just trying to find out if there is an
elegant and simple route to, or whether there is
a big learning curve/energy barrier to, satellite
internet technology.

There is also the financial aspect as well, of course.

regards, Trevor