AW: [Ti] [OT] satellite internet / DVB-S cards

Christoph Hammann chammann at mac.com
Wed Apr 13 18:10:23 PDT 2005

am 13.04.2005 16:19 Uhr schrieb Dr. Trevor J. Hutley unter
hutley at geneva-link.ch:

> ARE there cards that work with MacOS ?

DVB-S cards work in a PowerMac, after a fashion, but only for watching TV,
for example with the EyeTV software you already know.

> What is it that prevents them working Mac OS , anyway?

The downlink from the satellite works through proxy programs, one on the
ISP's side, and one on the receiving computer. This last one is only
available for Windows.
I have dedicated a simple Windows box on my LAN for this purpose that in
turn serves as a proxy server providing web access to all Mac OS, Linux and
Windows boxen on the LAN. Works, but I'd rather have DSL.
HTH!
Christoph