[Ti] AI Trackpad - STILL major deficiency after 10.3.9

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Tue Apr 19 11:27:13 PDT 2005

>At 12:46 PM -0700 on 4/18/05, Rod Duncan wrote:
>
>>  My problem is in the tapping. It jumps a number of pixels away
>>from say a chosen word forcing me to have to realign the cursor.
>>After a perfect experience with the 667 this is counter-intuitive
>>AND counter-productive.
>
>I have exactly the same problem with my new 1.67 PowerBook. I love
>the new two-finger scrolling feature, but it's more than offset by
>the tapping issues and jumping cursor. I'm hoping Apple comes up
>with a fix for this soon.
>
>Bob

Just got off the phone with Apple. There is a problem with the
trackpads on the new machines. All or some? He didn't know. However,
the poor techs are almost as much in the dark as we are. Even the
resetting of the trackpad, by holding the hand over it, instructions
are spotty at best. How long do you hold your hand over the trackpad
to reset? Do you do this in the finder or can an application being
running? Do various trackpad setting effect the cursor jump? (My
experience so far suggests - no.) With all the questions I had posed
to him his response was the document is a little thin on content when
it comes to this trackpad resetting. We laughed at the understatement
of that.

He suggested they change out the trackpad with a different one. I am
reluctant to send in my machine as we don't have a local Apple repair
facility. I am going to discuss this with a number of Apple repair
techs I know  and see what the early consensus is. This jumpy,
twitchy, inaccurate trackpad/cursor is a major input pain but is
still manageable in the short term. It jumps and interrupts the flow
when you are constantly having to re-adjust the cursor after
trackpadding but taken in context is not the end of the world.

Aside from this fixable flaw, this new machine is wonderful. Great
screen, spectacular keyboard (major improvement from my earlier Ti667
DVI) case design etc. It is ALL good with the exception of the
trackpad caveat.

All you new AI owners what is your experience with the trackpad? Is
it a hardware issue with only some machines or is it an
across-the-board software problem isolated to this new AI powerbook
release? If it is only some of us then I guess it is hardware and I
will have to send it in for a trackpad replacement. Personally, I
think it is software related.

Also, does this trackpad issue affect the new iBooks?

Rod
--
Rod Duncan

        "Buy a Mac and be thought a fool
or buy a Windows box and remove all doubt."

   Still virus free...  and after ALL these years.